Tuesday, November 27, 2012

November Nail Art Challenge - Day 9

I can't believe it's Day 9 of Erica's Nails and More November Nail Art Challenge!  We only have one more day!?!  I'm glad it's winding down, though I have had a lot of fun doing it.  I just wish I had more time to devote to my nails.  I dedicate almost 13 hours a day to work and getting ready for work.  And I try to get seven hours of sleep a night, and there just isn't enough time for anything else!  Maybe in the Spring I'll have more time to work on my nails since football season will be over!  Because that takes up most weekends in the fall. :)

Anywho, so today's challenge was water marbles.  Well, I attempted to water marble back around the Fourth of July, and let's just say it did not end well...  I ended up doing a gradient which can be seen here.  I since have not attempted another water marble.  But when I started this challenge, I knew that the water marble would be the most difficult thing for me on the list.  So after much trepidation (yay big word!), I attempted another water marble.


I decided to use neon colors for my marble.  Little did I realize at the time, neons dry faster than some other types of polish, as Erica reminded me after the fact. ;)  So, I'm sure that caused some of the problems I had.  The colors I used were China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy (my first CG!), LA Colors Tangerine, and Sally Hansen White Tip.  I had planned on using LA Colors Sea Foam as well, but for some reason I just couldn't get it to spread out in the water.  So I just went with the pink/orange/white combination.


The colors are not true to life in the above picture, but you can really see the detail the best in this one.  My favorites were the ring and pinkie fingers.  I actually only had to redo two nails the whole time, though I wasn't particularly pleased with how the ring finger came out, but I decided to go with it.  The thumb is actually sort of interesting, so it doesn't show up well in most of the pictures, in the tip part above the white line there is actually a pink-orange-pink gradient going on, which looked pretty neat.
 

Unfortunately, I never could really get the polish to do what I wanted in the water, so most of the time I just tried to pull it apart and separate the colors so that it looked sort of marbled.  But I figure with practice I may be able to get a bit better at marbling.  I also want to try out the plastic bag technique where you place a baggie over the polish in the water to collect the design, and then after it dries you can cut it up and apply it to your nails.  I know I've seen a tutorial for this method, but you'll probably just have to google it.





I'm actually sort of eager to try to marble again.  Because though it was extremely tedious, I enjoyed the process a lot more than I thought I would.  I also want to try more colors!  And using my Milani holos to marble!  Maybe I'll marble again for my Day 10 nails, but we'll see.

--
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Nice color combination! Very pretty and summery :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...