Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Pretty and Polished Phoenix

Today I have another Pretty and Polished polish from the grab bag I ordered a few weeks ago!  Today's featured polish is Phoenix.  I was excited to see that this was one of the polishes I received, just because I know it was one of her early popular polishes.  While it wasn't something I would necessarily have purchased for myself, I was excited to have it.


I chose to swatch Phoenix over Sinful Colors Cloud 9.  I did one coat of Phoenix on each nail, with the exception of the ring finger, which is three coats with no underwear.  I used two coats of Cloud 9 for the base of each of the other nails.


Pretty and Polished describes Phoenix as "A phoenix is a mythical bird with colorful plumage. It has a 500 to 1000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again.  The base is an orange tint and it is packed with small orange, yellow, and red glitters as well as medium red hexes."


Overall, application was quite easy.  I didn't need to place any glitter, but I didn't pick up very many of the larger red pieces.  You can see two red hexes between the five nails, so I suppose that isn't too bad.  Because I work in an office, I probably wouldn't wear this one to work, or I may try it out with different underwear or in a jelly sandwich to make it more work appropriate!


I had trouble deciding what color to use as my base color.  I only have one yellow polish, and I didn't think it would look very good since it's a pastel and I didn't want the red glitter pieces to get lost on a red polish.  So I went with the yellow-leaning orange of Cloud 9 (aka "nasty Tennessee orange").


I think my favorite part of Phoenix is the small metallic red glitters.  They really make polish pop in my opinion.  I'm not a big fan of the polish on its own, but I do like it layered over orange.  I really look forward to layering it over a few other polishes, maybe even white.  Though then I'd be afraid I'd lose the white matte glitter...maybe a nude or a brown!





And I'll be back sometime later this week with the last Pretty and Polished I received, Heist!  So check back in a few days!

--
Sarah

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...