Wednesday, February 20, 2013

February Nail Art Challenge - Day 7

I can't believe we're almost done with this month's nail art challenge, let alone the month of February!  Today is Day 7 of Erica's Nails and More February 9-Day Nail Art Challenge.  The theme is inspired by a tutorial.  I spent a LOT of time looking up tutorials, trying to find something I wanted to recreate.  And after several failed attempts at other nail art, I finally found something that worked - a butterfly wing tutorial!

I can't say I exactly came up with this idea on my own though...  There is another nail art challenge happening this month, hosted by Jilltastic Nail Design, the "Flip/Flop February 28 Day Challenge," and I was inspired by seeing all the awesome butterfly wing nail art everyone did for yesterday (February 19).

 

Since I already had my nails painted blue using Zoya Robyn (from a previously failed tutorial attempt), I decided to make blue butterfly wings, since the more stereotypical butterfly nail art you see is based on the monarch (orange and yellow), and I wanted to do something different. I used my LA Colors Art Deco Striper polish in black to make the lines, and then a mini, unnamed LA Girls polish and a dotting tool to make the spots on the wing.  I then filled in the wing with Spoiled Shaken Snow Globe using a paintbrush.



The tutorial I used to make this nail art, is the Butterfly Nails Tutorial by Nail Art 101.  I love her tutorials because she makes everything so easy, and has beginner, intermediate, and advanced tutorials.  And even though the butterfly nails are considered "advanced," I didn't find them very difficult at all, though I did only do one nail... 
 




As you can see, I originally didn't have the black tips, but added them after I decided the other nails needed something.  I had originally thought about adding glitter to the other nails, but I didn't want to detract from the glitter in the butterfly wing.


I am really, really proud of how this came out.  And even though in the macro image you can see the imperfections, it looked GREAT from afar when looking at the whole mani.  I know that the more I attempt it the better and better I'll get!  There are only two more challenges left this month: polka dots and recreate your favorite.  I have no idea what I'll be recreating...so I'll be stalking everyone's previous posts today for ideas! :)

--
Sarah

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...