Friday, January 17, 2014

Colorblock Mani

Today I'll be bringing you my first attempt at a colorblocking mani.  While looking for inspiration for my geometric mani I did on Monday for FingerFood's Theme Buffet, I saw lots of gorgeous colorblock manis on Pinterest - so I wanted to try one of my own!  This pin, from Glitter and Gloss Nails, was probably my biggest inspiration as far as the designs on each nail.


Let me start by saying, this color combination looked much better in my head, lol.  I've seen lots of mint-black-gold manis and mint-white-gold manis, so I thought - why not combine all four colors?  Well...I don't know...but something did not work out color-wise.  Perhaps the green is too grassy and not enough minty?  Except that I love how this mani turned out, I'm really not a fan of the colors!  Maybe I should've done with grey instead of green...oh well...next time.


The polishes I used for this mani were Sally Hansen Insta-Dri In a Splash (green) and two unnamed LA Girls polishes (black and white).  I started with a base of China Glaze Mingle with Kringle (another Christmas gift from my boyfriend!), which is an AMAZING one-coater with lots of sparkle!  I wore Mingle with Kringle on its own for a few days before hand and I LOVE it!  It's so unique.  I look forward to using it in nail art since it's so opaque.  I'll have to swatch it on its own sometime.


The only other possible explanation for why the colors just don't work is that maybe Mingle with Kringle was too yellow of a gold.  Perhaps a more muted metallic shade would've worked better. 


But I am so proud of the straight lines I did on each nail!  I tend to be a perfectionist, and I was completely satisfied with the way I did the striping tape and colorblocking.  I look forward to trying this again with some other colors and perhaps incorporate a fourth color for the colorblocking portion as I saw in many of the pins I looked at.  Overall, this is definitely a technique I look forward to trying out again as it was nowhere near as difficult as I anticipated it to be.  Have a great weekend everyone!

--
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...