Monday, January 20, 2014

FingerFood's Theme Buffet Week 3 - Weather

This week’s theme for FingerFood’s Theme Buffet is weather.  As a meteorologist, this category is perfect for me!  I wanted to something somewhat technical, but still be something somewhat artsy that would look cute on my nails.  As a native Floridian, I’ve experienced my fair share of hurricanes and tropical storms.   Most notably, would be the 2004 hurricane season when Central Florida (where I grew up) was hit by three Category 3+ storms (Charley, Frances and Jeane) in about eight weeks.  Fortunately, all of my family was safe and with minimal damage done to our homes, compared to others in our area.


So, for today’s mani, I decided to do the two primary symbols of a hurricane.  On my thumb, is the red cyclone symbol that designates a hurricane.  The symbol for tropical storm is the similar,, but without the center filled in.   On my ringer finger is the flag that symbols a hurricane warning (i.e. winds greater than 74mph) – two square red flags with a black square center. (Anyone else feel like Fun with Flags with Dr. Sheldon Cooper here?)  A single one of these flags indicates a storm warning with winds from 55-73mph.


For this mani, I started with a base of Pure Ice Frosted Ice Calypso.   This polish SUPER old!  Years before my polish obsession started.  I highly doubt they still make this polish but it’s a gorgeous frosted turquoise.  The formula is still great, though like most frosted polishes, there were visible brush strokes, but luckily a coat of Seche Vite smoothed them right out.  All nails have two coats of Calypso.

Then, using the end of my cleanup brush as a dotting tool, I used Revlon China Flower to put a large dot in the center of my thumb nail to create the hurricane symbol.  I then used a thin striping brush to make the “swooshes” on either end.


For the flags, I taped off the two small squares and then used China Flower to fill in each square.  I really believe I’m getting the hang of striping tape, because I was able to execute this part flawlessly!  Then after waiting for all of the red polish to dry, I went back with a thin striping brush and used LA Girls unnamed black to create the flag pole and fill in the small black squares inside the flag.


Once everything was dry, I went back and added a final coat of Seche Vite, being careful not to smear any of the nail art, which smoothed everything out.  The macro image is "upside down" this week, because this is the correct direction for the hurricane symbol to face.


Overall, I am really pleased with how this mani turned out.  I think Calypso made a great base as it adds a good contrast with the red in the nail art and actually resembles the color of the ocean.  This final picture is probably the most true-to-color for Calypso.  Be sure to check out the other WX manis below!

--
Sarah


4 comments:

  1. Love these Sarah! Such a perfect theme for you, and I love the different spin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah where is Amy when you need awkward glances as Sheldon is recording his Fun with Flags..... Very cool idea using the hurricane flags too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love this, the colors really rock together! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...