Monday, February 24, 2014

FingerFood's Theme Buffet Week 8 - Cute

When I saw the prompt "cute," I knew exactly what I wanted to do!  I have a small stash of fimo cane sticks that I received as a gift from Erica of Erica's Nails and More that I have hardly used!  I'm pretty sure I've only done one other mani with the fimo before today.  I like the look of 3D nail art, but it's definitely not something I would wear everyday!


So for my cute mani, I thought I would create a Spring-themed manicure using dragonflies and butterflies!  Using a razor blade (also provided by Erica!), I sliced the fimo as thinly as I possibly could.  As you can see, some pieces are thicker than others as I still haven't quite mastered slicing in a uniform thickness.  I did fairly well with the butterflies, but the dragonflies were harder to slice to due to their long and thin shape.


For the base of this mani, I started with one coat of Zoya Robyn.  Once dry, I sponged on a gradient of Zoya Robyn and Sally Hansen Limestone - to create a grass and sky look for the background.  I then added a thin layer of Rimmel Base/Top Coat (which I have currently been using as my base coat) and stuck the fimo pieces on at varying angles.  Once the pieces had begun to set in the clear coat, I added a quick swipe of Seche Vite.



The only major drawback in my opinion, is that I think I may have added the Seche too soon (or perhaps should've left it off entirely), because you can see in some spots where the base coat sort of got streched or smushed, which I am attributing to the many layers of topcoat.  I didn't wear this mani for very long, but I have a feeling those fimo pieces wouldn't have gone anywhere!



Overall, I am in love with how this turned out!  It's definitely not something I would wear on a regular basis, but it was fun and is definitely Spring-y!  I also think the pink/green dragonflies and purple butterflies contrast nicely with the basecoat.  I had another butterfly fimo-design, but it was similar in color to the dragonfly, and I wanted something that would provide a little bit more of a pop of color.  I think this is pretty cute!

--
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I love fimos, but they are such a pain to slice up. And I agree, they aren't very practical :P
    I also have issues with them lifting if you don't get them sliced thin enough.
    I love this, it's very springy, and very cute :D <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that's why I haven't used my fimos very much - because they're such a pain to slice!

      Delete
  2. I love this. It looks so fun and carefree, and that gradient makes me think of summer <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the background of your mani. Femos look so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous Sarah - so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...