Wednesday, April 30, 2014

#HePicksMyPolish - April 2014

Today is my first submission for #HePicksMyPolish!  This is a nail art group on Facebook (join us here!), where we let a man in our life pick a few polishes for us and we must create a manicure using those polishes.  This can be your significant other, father, brother, son, etc.  For this challenge, I had my boyfriend go through my many boxes of polish to find three he wanted me to create a mani with.  I’m pretty certain he intentionally picked colors that wouldn’t go together well.  


The three polishes he picked are: Finger Paints Go Van Gogh!, Sinful Colors Dark Bronze, and China Glaze Your Present Required.


He told me he wanted to pick polishes I had never used.  However, after picking I informed him that I had used both Go Van Gogh! and Dark Bronze and Dark Bronze was featured on the blog!  His complaint of course was because he gave me Your Present Required for Christmas, but I hadn’t used that one.  It’s a lovely glitter mix, but I don’t wear glitter polish to work very often!



For this mani, I started with a base of Dark Bronze.  Once that was dry, I applied striping tape in vertical columns and layered one coat of Go Van Gogh! over top.  Once that was dry, I added a coat of slow drying topcoat.  Using a piece of scrap paper (I tend to use the thick Ulta postcards), I spread out o glob of Your Present Required.  Using a dotting tool, I picked up like-colored glitter and added them down each column.  This actually was not as tedious as it looks!



Afterwards, I finished everything off with a thick coat of Seche Vite.  While these definitely are not colors I would have paired together (definitely not the glitter polish), I actually quite enjoy the end result.  The shimmer in Dark Bronze really pops under the creme of Go Van Gogh!  The only thing that feels off is the column of matte white glitter.  I hindsight, I would've left that off, and just included the metallic colors.  But since I wanted to truly say I used each polish, I kept that row of white.  I look forward to trying this again next month, I think my boyfriend is looking forward to it too!

--
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Love that you individually placed the glitter - I never would have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm not sure where I originally discovered the idea, but I love Polish All the Nails' glitter placements, though I'm not quite as ambitious as she is!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, your precision glitter placement is so perfected lol. Well done! You did such a great job coming up with a pretty look for the challenge. He absolutely picked some challenging colors for you to work with this round!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...