Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Twin Nails: Bird of Paradise

Hello!  I have a dual purpose post for you today!  This month's theme for the Twin Nails challenge was flowers.  My twinsie Samantha, of Southern Sparkle Nail Art, and I were assigned Bird of Paradise.  In case you need a reference, here is the image my twinsie and I used for inspiration.  And let me apologize up front, because my freehand skills are severely lacking!  So, today's manicure is my attempt at a Bird of Paradise flower, which also fulfills the Lacquer Legion prompt of Garden!


Because I don't have any nail art brushes, I had to use the thinnest paint brush I had...and I even trimmed another one down for the additional detail work.  I ended up deciding to leave the blue stem off, because I was afraid it would end up looking too cluttered because I couldn't get the line thin enough.   


The polishes I used for this mani are Covergirl Go-Go Mango (for the orange nails and the orange in the BoP); Sally Hansen Limestone (the stem); LA Colors Art Deco striper polishes in Hi-Lite and Bright Green to add some accents to the flowers.  I ended up going a little crazy with the yellow as I was polishing in low light and didn't realize HOW MUCH yellow I was using.  I also used OPI My Vampire is Buff as the base for the nail art.




Hopefully this mani wasn't too painful to look at!  I'm definitely pleased with how it turned out...I seriously expected it to be 1000 times worse, but I know that certainly isn't gorgeous!  I really like how the BoP on my thumb turned out.  It's a lot more crisp looking than the one on my ring finger, so I wanted to be sure to get a macro of it!  Overall, this challenge definitely took me outside my comfort zone, and I'm actually ok with the results!  Be sure to check out Samantha's Bird of Paradise mani here!  Also, search #LLgarden on your favorite social media sites to see other garden themed manis!

--
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. This looks great! You two did amazing! Can't believe you did this with a paintbrush x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to painting, paintbrushes, and free-hand nail art, so that means a lot! :)

      Delete
  2. I think you did a really nice job! It takes so much practice (and patience) to be able to do nail art, so you're doing good already!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...